Wednesday, January 30, 2013

apple cider vinegar | the verdict

Remember when I posted way back when about starting an apple cider vinegar regimen? Well, I'm not quite sure why it took a million years to share the results. I think I was waiting for some grand transformation of health, but that obviously never happened. That's not to say I still don't drink a glass of it every evening before bed. The results, while minimal, aren't nonexistent. 

Because I am an SAT nerd, I will give you an analogy: apple cider vinegar is to your body as wd-40 is to a machine. It can help things operate more smoothly but isn't a mechanic in a bottle that is going to solve any major issues. 

When I am taking care of myself, eating well, and running regularly, the ACV helps me feel like a better version of myself. My stomach was upset less, and my skin has cleared up slightly* (or I'm just getting old and finally growing out of my terrible teenage skin). If I wasn't making healthy choices, no amount of ACV was going to make me feel top notch.

So, even though it's not earth shattering, I think apple cider vinegar is a nice little hippie addition to my quest to live a healthier lifestyle. Plus, I've actually gotten hooked on the taste and look forward to my nightly ritual! If you're curious, I would suggest trying it out**, but don't expect any magic potions. 

*For a couple weeks I tried spreading diluted ACV (1 part ACV to 2 parts water) on my face with a cotton ball. I never saw any change and didn't keep it up. I have heard people rave about it though, so I'm sure it varies from person to person.
**Nightly, I mix two tablespoons ACV (the one with the mother!) in a pint glass of cold water. What, you don't measure water by pints?

8 comments:

  1. I've tried acv on my face but never was regimented about it to tell if it made a difference. I'm so impressed you do this every night. and that it slightly helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had such high hopes for the ACV on my face, but alas, we weren't meant to be. Oh well! I still like drinking it :)

      Delete
  2. I have tried adding acv to water here and there but never for a long regimented period. It has to have some benefit, right? But then again, maybe its a placebo effect. In my mind there is nothing wrong with a placebo effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I have a much better chance of sticking with something if I incorporate it in my daily routine. I don't mind the placebo effect either. You win either way!

      Delete
  3. Will totally have to try this, I've been curious for a while :-)

    xoxo

    eileen

    www.acreativedayblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. interesting! sometimes i'll have a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar if i'm not feeling well. maybe it needs to be more of a regular thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You drink it straight?! I'm not that brave yet. I will have to work up my courage to try it though!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...