Friday, February 1, 2013

night at the museum | our global kitchen

Jenn and I recently attended a "tweetup" at the American Museum of Natural History to get a glimpse of their new exhibit, Our Global Kitchen. An after hours evening at one of my favorite museums with free drinks and chocolate? What is not to love!? Sign. Me. Up!











The evening began with wine and cheese in the reptile and amphibian room. After a short introduction by the curator of the exhibit and Whole Foods' local urban forager (doesn't that sound like an awesome job?), we did a couple chocolate tastings paired with wine and beer. It was a "tweetup" so we were all supposed to tweet and instagram throughout the night using the tag #ogktweetup. It was hilarious to see everyone constantly on their phones typing furiously. Our tweets even popped up on a big screen during the cocktail hour for all to see.

The exhibit itself was really amazing. Tons of facts and statistics about modern food systems and products, food history, and how what we eat fits into our culture. Fascinating. I wish I could have spent hours in there reading every placard.

And of course, it would be cruel to have an entire exhibit on eating without featuring some actual food, so there is a kitchen smack in the middle of the presentation. We made friends with an adorable chef who showed us how to make chocolate cigarettes and let us play with some fun kitchen tools (infrared thermometer, hello!). We also tried some mole sauce with tortilla chips but I think that it always tastes like dirt (sorry lovely chefs at AMNH!).

Jenn and I had such a great time at the museum. I will definitely be on the lookout for other tweetups in the future and I may drag Kurt back to see the food exhibit (ugh, actually paying for it). I definitely recommend checking it out if you are in the city!

6 comments:

  1. That adorable chef knew his stuff. We should have hung out with him more. Think of the benefits of having a chocolate expert for a friend?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or, you know, more than a friend :) All those years in France are bound to have made him quite the romantic!

      Delete
  2. This sounds so fun, I seriously can't wait to go to this museum. I love chocolate and wine, but I just can't do beer yet! Maybe I just need to find the gateway beer...ha! We have something like this in Portland at OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry), called "OMSI after dark" which is 21 and over, with a themed exhibit and cocktails of course ;]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The AMNH is one of my favorites. Definitely don't miss it when you visit NYC.

      Beer is definitely an acquired taste :) But I promise there are some good ones out there. Ease your way in and I'm sure you will be a fan!

      The OMSI event sounds awesome! I will have to check it out if I ever visit Portland (hopefully soon). I am a sucker for cultural outings mixed with booze!

      Delete
  3. This seems so fun - museums and food! I'm in! I've never heard of tweetup either, I'll have to check this out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a blast. I highly recommend keeping an eye on twitter for some fun/free events in DC. The "tweetup" part was a little hoaky but if someone is willing to give me refreshments and access to an amazing space, I am more than happy to give them some free publicity :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...