Monday, February 25, 2013

chocolate chip muffins and doing lots of nothing


Ugh. I've been sick all weekend. I stayed home from work on Friday and have spent the last three days switching back and forth from my bed to the couch all the while hacking up my lungs. I'm hoping to be on the mend for the upcoming week (or at least halfway functioning with some help from dayquil). Needless to say, the weekend was less than productive. Besides the whole sick part, it was kind of nice doing absolutely nothing. No plans, no goals, no ambitions.

I guess I can't say I did nothing. In unprecedented fashion, I watched six (SIX!) movies and every single episode of Perfect Couples (such an underrated and sadly cancelled show). I also watched the majority of the Oscars last night. If I knew Michelle Obama was going to announce the Best Picture winner, I might have rallied until the end. Needless to say, my new TV got a workout while I have been recovering.

I guess I wasn't entirely useless. I made those chocolate chip muffins up there. After quite a few baking fails lately, I was due for a success and they turned out pretty well. I found the recipe on the Joy of Baking.

Ingedients:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 large eggs
2/3 cup milk
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups flour
2/3 cups sugar
2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips (+ a handful for sprinkling on top)

Preheat oven to 375 degree Fahrenheit (mine runs really hot so I knocked it down to about 350) and grease your muffin tin or use paper liners.

In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Fold together all the wet and dry ingredients (including the butter). Be sure to not over mix. Fill up 12 muffin tins with the batter, sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top, and pop in the oven for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Enjoy!
____________

My friend Amy from Old Sweet Song is considering a move from the West Village to Brooklyn and is on the hunt for the perfect neighborhood. Check out my guest post on her blog today convincing her to move to Gowanus! Thanks for having me, Amy! 

6 comments:

  1. Aw, I hope you feel better soon!! Those muffins look amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura. I'm hoping baked goods are as effective as antibiotics!

      Delete
  2. aw those look amazing. i've had a cough that wont seem to go away :(. i feel your pain.

    I LOVED perfect couples. i was so sad when it ended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh. Late winter colds are the worst, especially when I'm SO ready for spring!

      Glad I'm not the only one mourning the loss of Perfect Couples!

      Delete
  3. I hope you're feeling much better now. =) Oh and those chocolate chip muffins look soooooo good! I have chocolate chips that are still waiting to be baked into something yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever I have chocolate chips around the house, I HAVE to bake something or else I will just eat them by the handful. It seems more socially accepted to share cookies and muffins instead of plain chocolate chips!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...