Friday, February 8, 2013

ballet a la sufjan

 I have a confession: I'm not a huge fan of Broadway plays. I don't know what it is I don't like about them. Maybe it's the random act of breaking into songs or the over-zealous acting. Those shows have just never been my cup of tea. On the other hand, I love dance and ballet performances AND I love Sufjan Stevens. When I heard there was a New York City Ballet featuring his music, I was immediately searching for tickets. I found some reasonably priced seats for a Saturday matinee and dragged invited along Kurt, Jenn, and Christian.



 I had never even been to Lincoln Center. Jenn and I were pin-pointing all our favorite locations from Center Stage (i.e. one of the best movies to come out of my high school years).

 Sadly, no photos were allowed inside the theater so I wasn't able to capture any of the show and the lovely costumes. I even had to sneak this shot!

The performance was split into three portions, divided by intermissions. The first piece was set to the music of Philip Glass and was my absolute favorite. The music and costumes were so simple and minimal. I loved how modern it was and less stiff than what you typically think of a ballet. At times, the stage seemed like chaos but then was expertly choreographed back to order.

 The second piece was set to Sufjan Steven's Enjoy your the Rabbit. I had such high hopes for this and was a little let down. The dances were gorgeous, but the music was a little flat. They only used the string section of the orchestra, and I felt it lacked the richness of the original album. I will say they made some crazy sounds with those instruments though, so thumbs up for pushing boundaries.

 The final performance was a collection of Vienna Waltzes. I hate to say it, but it was a bit of a snooze. As much as the previous two chapters were contemporary, this part was completely traditional. The music was lovely and classical, but the dances seemed like endless twirling around on stage. The girls wore (albeit gorgeous) long dresses and short heeled slippers. I don't claim to be any sort of ballet expert but I tend to prefer watching en pointe. Regardless, I had a blast and was so excited to check a cultural outing off my NYC bucket list.


 Thanks to Kurt for being a trooper. I think he might rank the excitement level of ballet somewhere between going to the dentist and taking the SAT. However, I have sat through many a football game, so I've earned a couple hours indulging my inner ballerina :)






 I had such a fun time exploring a new part of town and breaking from our typical weekend routine. I would highly suggest taking in a NYCB performance (or any other local company for that matter) if you get a chance. Do a little digging and you can find some pretty decent tickets with a good view of the stage. Beware that you may end up walking around on your tippy toes the rest of the day and start researching beginners ballet classes at your gym. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Check out Jenn's recap here!

15 comments:

  1. SO GOOD. The ballet is always so good.

    Did you know I used to seriously dance up until my senior year of high school? Point shoes and performances and everything. It was THE BEST.

    I am so happy I can finally say I've been to Lincoln Center! Your photos of it all are completely gorgeous. Love that you got to go to this! (And I LOVE Phillip Glass, too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your post about the NYCB inspired me to get tickets!

      YES! I remember you've mentioned your famed ballerina past :) I danced when I was young and not sticking with it is one of my greatest disappointments. Now I'm just old, inflexible, and uncoordinated :)

      If you love Philip Glass, check out Koyaanisqatsi (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085809/). Kurt loves it (I fell asleep in the middle) and PG did all the music.

      Delete
  2. that sounds so fun!! I've been wanting to catch a Broadway show when I up in NYC, but now you have me thinking that I want to see a dance performance instead - You must see the documentary "First Position" if you like ballet - it's on Netflix so no excuses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little biased but dance performances are EXCELLENT! (Although I hear the Book of Mormon is the most hilarious thing ever. I may need to change my musical policy for that one).

      Going to watch that ballet documentary immediately! We've got a blizzard on the way, so I should have lots of time to kill inside this weekend :)

      Delete
  3. Center Stage = best movie EVER!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it, JLH! I think I will have to watch that this weekend too!

      Delete
  4. I'm listening to some of Philip Glass's beautiful music right now and it's really making me wish I was watching ballet along with it! What a fantastic show to go to! I, too, LOVE ballet (although I love musicals as well). When my husband and I went to see the Nutcracker this past Christmas, as we were walking out he said, "I just don't get what people see in ballet..." Haha he just totally doesn't get it, but he was a trooper to go with me. Maybe one day I'll go to the Lincoln theater!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! The differences between us ladies and guys is painfully clear at moments like that. (Next time I might make it a girls outing followed by cocktails and dessert.) Lincoln Center is pretty amazing. You should go if you get a chance!

      Delete
  5. this sounds so cool! i saw sufjan stevens a while ago at BAM and liked him a lot. also, kudos to you for knowing you earned that ballerina indulgence - in my opinion, sitting through football games earns you a whole SEASON of ballet performances! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I will work that argument some more. I have not yet cashed in all my brownie points!

      Delete
  6. Phillip Glass was clearly the highlight of the show. That routine was straight out of Koyaanisqatsi and I loved it.

    For those who've never seen Koyaanisqatsi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PirH8PADDgQ

    ReplyDelete
  7. WHAT?!? This sounds seriously awesome! I adore all this Sufjan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awesome! My love for Sufjan knows no bounds :) I can't wait to see what he comes up with next!

      Delete
  8. wow that sounds right up my alley - would love to that! i love watching dancers do their thing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll be able to find tons of similar things to do in Chicago soon!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...