Thursday, January 10, 2013

alabama holiday wrap-up

Kurt and I still had a few days left in Alabama after returning from our mini trip to Atlanta. Some would say we were in the South too long. Granted, it wasn't my typical lounge on the couch and do nothing vacation, but we still had a pretty good time. Without further ado, the rest of the trip!


I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but Kurt is an excellent cook. He surely puts my skills to shame (doesn't take much). I wanted him to make dinner for my parents one night and wow them, so he decided on a mushroom risotto and sauteed kale. It was all delicious and my parents were sufficiently blown away after second helpings (and maybe even thirds). My favorite comment from the evening came from my dad: "I'm so glad you guys like food because we love food." It was a lovely evening for all.


One day we took a drive up to Tennessee for a wine tasting at Arrington Vineyards. I had been with my parents back in August and really wanted to take Kurt back.


It snowed while we were there! You have to look really close but there is definitely some wintry precipitation out there. This is a big deal for Southerners. BIG.


That evening we went to Mellow Mushroom, one of my favorite pizza places in town, for an observed birthday dinner with my sister. It's true, I'm getting old. Sigh.






After dinner, we drove through the Galaxy of Lights at the Huntsville Botanical Garden.

And then there was cake! Thanks, Mom and Dad :)



Here are some images of the garage/"man cave" progress. As you can see, not much got done on my end. My parents are slowly chipping away at things here and there, but I'm taking this opportunity to step down as "designer" on the project. I'm glad I was able to help out a little, but I've learned that my parents and I have completely different ways of working/designing and decision making. I'm going to let them handle it from here. It's a little disappointing to not see the whole vision followed through to the end, but I'm coming to grips that it is their room and they are going to do what they want, no matter how much I yell :) I will try to update you on how they finish things, but that could be a long time down the road. You and I will have to practice our patience together.


And now we're back in New York! Our flight returned on New Years Eve, so we pretty much hit the ground running. These holidays were great and full and busy. I'm glad Kurt was able to put up me and my family for such a long time :) He's a trooper!

To make up for the lack to relaxation, I'm already scheming a late winter/early spring vacation to beat the cold weather doldrums! Who's with me?!

8 comments:

  1. Ah a man who cooks.. he's a keeper for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meh...he's okay :) I guess I'll keep him around for good meals, if nothing else.

      Thanks, Hena!

      Delete
  2. you guys look so happy! :) welcome back to ny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me! I'm with you, warm weather fo life.

    Love the sound of this whole trip. It seems like it was just jam-packed with goodness.

    Also, for the record, I'm getting old, too, but at least we're all getting old together, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! One more thing: Zan's the true cook around here, too. It's kind of nice actually! I thank my lucky stars ALL THE TIME. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very nice to have someone cook for you. Too bad I get stuck with dish washing a lot of the time though! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...