Wednesday, January 23, 2013

weekend recap

This weekend I learned that you can get so much done when you don't sleep in until outrageous hours on Saturday and Sunday. It's true: awake me is much more productive than sleeping me. Who knew? I'm not sure I'll be springing out of bed on my regular workday schedule, but I'm going to make an effort to squeeze as many waking hours into my free days as I can. Kurt is thrilled :)

Our friend Christian had the brilliant idea to participate in the National Day of Service on Saturday, so he, Kurt, and I signed up to help with the Sandy Relief Kitchen's Canned Food Drive. Our "dream team" was stationed in front of a nearby grocery store taking food donations. It was freeeezing and super early but I was astounded by the community support. 


After a successful morning of service, we had lunch at Pork Slope which I had been dying to try. I had the pulled pork sandwich and it was excellent. I can't wait to go back and sample everything else. {pulled pork image from roboppy's flickr}{Messy apartment shot by my iphone. I barely took any photos this weekend! Bad blogger!}

The weather was so nice on Sunday, I was able to bike all around Brooklyn running errands. My biking muscles are way out of shape, so it was quite the workout, but I loved being able to get around so quickly and easily. I can't wait for spring/summer! Hurry up and get here! 

As a gift to myself for passing my exams, I am buying a tv. (It's hard to believe I have lived without one for almost two years!) So now I am agonizing about the whole process. What size? How much should I spend? What's it going to sit on? Cable vs. antenna vs. online tv? It's exhausting but very exciting at the same time. My first big-girl purchase! I'm hoping to finally bite the bullet in February when televisions are supposed to be cheap and I will have a tax refund coming my way. Any suggestions/words of wisdom?

Somehow, Kurt and I watched three movies over the course of the weekend (see what I mean about waking up early?!). Zero Dark Thirty was excellent. We all know what happens, but it was really interesting to see the "behind the scenes" of the operation, especially the role of the female protagonist. I've heard that the depiction of everything isn't 100% factual, but it's Hollywood, so take it with a grain of salt. Still a must see. This is 40 is funny. The story is kind of weak, but the lead characters are always entertaining. Inception came highly recommended and was really interesting. I feel like it is one of those movies you have to watch two or three times to really grasp. It definitely got my wheels turning.

And I did some baking! I had a couple bags of chocolate chips around my apartment, so instead of eating them by the handfuls, I made some pumpkin chocolate chip bread which I took to the office and has since been demolished.  I also made my knock off version of Mellow Mushroom's Kosmic Karma pizza for Kurt one evening. Yum! {obviously not my images, see above links for credit}

So now it's Wednesday and I'm already looking towards the weekend again! Sigh :)

4 comments:

  1. What...our pizza didn't look like that?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours was pretty charred on the bottom and my swirl of pesto wasn't quite as perfect. Other than that, pretty close :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm impressed how quickly we all devoured it :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...