Monday, January 14, 2013

27

Being a New Years Baby is an interesting thing. There are perks and there are drawbacks (like any other day I assume). One bonus of sharing my birthday with a national holiday is never having to go to work. Each year I am free to plan whatever activity my heart desires and drag my poor friends along with me :) Even though we were all suffering from the night before, Jenn and Kurt were troopers and took me to an art exhibit I'd been dying to see and out to a nice dinner. Thanks, guys! I might have been in bed by 9pm but I think 27 is off to a pretty decent start.


I don't typically hear about all the happening things in the art world around the city, but I feel like everyone was talking about Ann Hamilton's exhibit, "the event of a thread", at the Park Avenue Armory. It didn't take much convincing after reading Cup of Jo's description. You had me at 'swings'.










After working up an appetite swinging, we headed for an early dinner at Freemans in the Lower East Side. I first heard about the place on Daina's blog and added it to my list of places to try. What better excuse than a birthday?! The most amazing thing about Freemans is that it is tucked at the end of this tiny, dark alley. You would never know it was there unless you were looking for it.



It took some googling, but we decided to share a plate of Devils on Horseback (cheese stuffed dates wrapped in bacon). Kurt's brother makes these when we have parties and has a slightly less appetizing name. Whatever you call them, they are still delicious!

I had the chicken pot pie special. Kurt had macaroni and cheese. Jenn had a lentil and kale salad with soup. The food was all really good but I think the real allure of Freemans is the atmosphere and location. I can't wait to go back for a drink sometime!

Thanks for a great day, Jenn and Kurt! You make entering my late twenties a little less traumatic :)

14 comments:

  1. Happy belated Birthday! That food looks delicious and super fun swings!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth! I think art+swings was the most brilliant idea ever.

      Delete
  2. 27 was a good one. It's 28 that will get you. 28 1/2...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I will just have to live it up until I am OLD like you then :)

      Delete
  3. Glad you had a great birthday, Melissa!! Knowing that you'll never have to work on your birthday is pretty awesome. Sounds like this year's was a super fun one! Happy 27th!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really behind...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! It was a good day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kurt! I appreciate the effort even though all three of us would have rather been at home, on the couch, in our pjs. Still a great day!

      Delete
  5. happy birthday, melissa!!!! i turned 27 this summer and so far it's been a year full of surprises and adventures! wishing the same for you, as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shoko! Glad to hear 27 is treating you well. I welcome surprises and adventures with open arms!

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday! I have been to Freeman's and loved it's location! I'm so jealous about the swing exhibit - so cool, and great pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! I'm on a mission to find more cute, little quirky places like Freemans. It really was a great experience.

      Delete
  7. i know this is late but happy birthday!!!! it looks wonderful (and delicious!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Colleen! I welcome nice wishes year round :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...