Wednesday, June 22, 2011

motorino

For my mom and sister's visit, I told them to compile a list of things they wanted to do or see. One of my mom's requests was pizza at Motorino in Williamsburg. She had seen it in a magazine hailing it as one of the best pies in the city. I'm a big fan of pizza and was more than happy to oblige. Unfortunately, the restaurant wasn't super close to the Brooklyn Flea or the Renegade Craft Fair which we were browsing before lunchtime. Instead of taking the train one stop, I decided we would just walk. It wasn't that far but I think this was the beginning of the end of my allergy undoing and brought about some grumbling from the troops.

Anyway, we finally made it to Motorino and found a table inside. The decor was clean and simple. I was loving the Marais chairs and marble top tables. A huge wood burning oven took up a large chunk of the dining area--always a good sign when pizza is involved.

We perused the menu for a little while and had a little bit of a rough time ordering. (I love you, Mom, but there is no redeeming yourself for this one.) None of the pizzas seemed "American" enough to my mom. I tried to explain that pizza is an Italian invention and this particular restaurant was known for their Napoletana-style pizza (ie Naples). Despite my bratty, know-it-all commentary, she was still not convinced that Soppressata Piccante would be very similar to Pepperoni

While they had some interesting options on their menu, but we stuck with a basic Margherita D.O.C. I feel like this a good way to really test a new pizza place. If the restaurant can deliver a good basic, you can assume they know what they are doing.

Turns out my sister isn't too fond of pizza sauce though, so we also tried the Pugliese. It had broccoli and a teeny bit of mild sausage. It wasn't my favorite. The broccoli was kind of bitter. However, I thought the Margherita was delicious. The sauce was slightly sweet. The cheese was excellent. The pizza was thin but the crust was soft and fluffy and slightly charred. My mom and sister weren't floored, but I would definitely go back. I think it would be an excellent biking destination. Who's in?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...