Tuesday, June 21, 2011

mom and jen

A couple weekends ago my mom and sister came to visit me here in New York. It was my sister's first trip to the city and I was excited to show her around. While flight delays, lousy weather, and allergy attacks put a damper on the weekend, we still fit a lot in. 


Like any good New Yorker, I walked my guests around to all the things they wanted to see. I even walked them places they didn't want to see. I walked them places I didn't want to see. Needless to say, we were all pretty exhausted by the end of it.

We had lots of good food, browsed several flea markets, and toured a lot of Brooklyn and Manhattan. We tested the limits of my teeny, tv-less, furniture-less, air conditioning-less studio apartment and surprisingly didn't trip over each other (and Aubie) too much. Kurt was a trooper and had a couple dinners with the Graveline women and was able to temper the estrogen for at least a couple hours. 

In the end, I don't think Jen was too blown away by her visit to the city. I may be a bit partial, but I think it is an experience everyone should have though. I totally understand that urban living isn't for everyone. I'm glad they were able to visit though. I see my family far too infrequently. I will be brushing up on my hostessing skills and hopefully my new home will be more homey next time they are in town. (However, be warned that I have reached my lifetime quota for Times Square and will not be returning anytime soon. Chinatown too.)

Oh! And I added another member to my celebrity sighting list! While walking around Brooklyn Heights, I spotted Alexis Bledel! It's funny because when I first moved to the city, one of the first famous people I spotted was Lauran Graham, her TV mom from Gilmore Girls. Apparently I like to work my way through television showsSookie is next on my GG list. She was hilarious in Bridesmaids :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...