Friday, November 16, 2012

man cave: the light

This week I'm helping my parents work through their garage renovation. I did some drawings last year, but now we're changing a few things to better suit their needs. We had never directly addressed the lighting situation, but my dad and I discussed some track lighting to replace the existing garage-y flush mounted fixtures. Over the summer, my parents had an electrician install this general lighting but now the big question remains, what will THE statement light above the pool table be?!



These are the kind of track lights they went with...pretty unoffensive and they give off decent light. With the big light we plan on sticking with the oil rubbed bronze finish. This was majorly helpful in narrowing down the options, because, let me tell you, there are a million light fixtures out there!

I'm not sure we'll go with a shaded light like this, but I thought a quick rendering would help illustrate the lighting criteria. My dad is quickly becoming a pool shark and was very specific about the fixture casting good light on his game :) The light needs to be linear and run along the long axis of the table and cast down on the surface instead of up like a lot of chandeliers. 

I started my search on some fancy pants lighting websites and was immediately turned off by all the ugly. Looks like I have cheap (relatively) taste in lights, so the options below are all from Lowe's because that is probably where my parents will get something anyway.


1/2

3/4

5/6

7/8

9/10

I like all of these lights so it's hard to choose a favorite, but if I had to pick, I might say no. 5 or 6 are my front runners.

Which do you like best?

3 comments:

  1. My votes are for 5 and 10. Can't wait to see it all done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so great! I literally JUST gifted a plan for my Mom's MOM CAVE! Hahaha. Great minds think alike :) I should post it too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...