Tuesday, December 6, 2011

cooking class

Last year for Christmas and my birthday, Silvia was so sweet and got Kurt and I gift certificates for a cooking class at Ger-Nis Culinary and Herb Center here in Brooklyn. Of course it took us the good part if a year and the threat of our certificate expiring to actually schedule a course. We opted for a risotto class one night last week.

The school had a nice setup in a converted industrial building. All their displays renewed my interest in storing all my food in glass jars. Aubie would send every single one of these crashing to the floor but I love the look!


Don't we look cute in our aprons?! I think more girls take the classes, so the apron supply definitely leaned towards the frilly, Anthropologie variety.

All the students were on two tables with cutting boards where we chopped and prepared the mis en place for the risottos. (If nothing else, I picked up some new vocabulary.)

Then we would all take turns at one of two cooking stations where we made a few communal dishes that everyone had a hand in.

Unfortunately, while risotto isn't as complicated as I once thought, it does take a bit of time to cook, so our last couple dishes were a little crunchy. Whoops :)

We still had a lot of fun! I would definitely recommend a class. The school claims to have all the recipes on their website but it is kind of a mess. Until I can locate them, I will just get your taste buds warmed up with the titles:

Wild Mushroom Risotto Croquettes
Caramelized Carrot Risotto
Roasted Beet Risotto
Red Quinoa Risotto with Fall Greens
Apple and Brown Sugar Brown Rice Risotto

3 comments:

  1. such cute aprons!! you look like a future Julia Child!

    ps. does Kurt own any clothing WITHOUT Ohio State logos on it?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Jen, LOL! At least none of it has camo!!!

    Good class...even though on the risotto scene I'm considered an experienced veteran.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds so fun! And yes, adorable aprons!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...