Wednesday, December 18, 2013

new england road trip: portland day 3







After our trip to Charleston, we think someone in Maine should turn this abandoned gas station into a bar!








Sadly, my New England posts have to come to an end...five months later :( Our last day in Portland was pretty brief so we could hit the long and trafficked road back to NYC. Erik and Silvia chose to go kayaking in the morning, but my ambitions were more retail based. After getting coffee (wood roasted!) and returning our rental bikes, I made Kurt drive me to Freeport to hit the outlet mall. Luckily he was interested in the semi-urban layout of the shops so I didn't feel like "that kind of girlfriend".  Sadly, we only had an hour, so we split up to divide and conquer. I learned a few things about my shopping persona during this abbreviated time. Normally I will agonize and doubt and ultimately leave many things on the rack because I don't "need" them. (Honestly, I need nothing so that's a moot point (perhaps a moo point) to begin with.) However, time condensed me buys everything in sight, no fitting rooms, no indecision. My credit card suffered but I think my wardrobe got some nice additions. I wish we could have spent more time but it was fun regardless. I do love outlet shopping.

Finally we drove back to Portland, collected our travel comrades, grabbed some quick tacos, and hit the road back to NYC. We made a brief stop along the way to see my extended family in Connecticut. Hi Gram! Sadly, no photos :(

I have to give a big shout out to Kurt and Erik for being rock star drivers during this trip (and most trips we take together).  I have truly embraced city living and hate to drive, so they selflessly took on the burden of rain, dark highways, and lots of traffic to get us to Maine and back safely. Thanks guys! When's our next trip?!

See more New England posts here:

3 comments:

  1. A friend of mine recently visited Portland, Maine and said that it *instantly* became her favorite city in the US. Your photos do her story justice!

    Way to be a decisive shopper. Sometimes a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post. We never made it to Portland while we were living in Rhode Island. A quick trip to the University of Southern Maine in Gorham for a 4-H competition with our daughter was as far as we got in Maine. We did, however, take a trip to Salem, MA and were often in Providence, RI so I'm looking forward to reading those posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love Maine, and especially Portland. The restaurants up there are amazing. I totally agree that more gas stations need to be bars. That's a pretty cool idea, right there!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...