Saturday, March 16, 2013

five random things



It's March and snowing right now, so while the world is already a little crazy, I thought I would have it make sense even less with a random weekend post. I tend to avoid internet trends like a list of "things you might not know about me". They seem like the chain letters of the blog world, and I can honestly never think of anything good to write about. Several weeks ago, my friend Elizabeth tagged me in such a list. There were multiples of eleven and a complicated process and I got overwhelmed and couldn't do it. Then recently, Anna tagged me in a decidedly simpler post requiring only five items. It was still a struggle, I can't guarantee it will be interesting, and I'm counting this as credit for both "tags".



I never went to the third grade. I was living in Virginia at the time and my second grade teacher proposed I go straight on to the fourth grade. I was/am/will forever be a big nerd, so I thought it sounded like a great idea. Over the summer, I was supposed to study up on the material I would be missing, but that never really happened. To this day, I still struggle with cursive writing.

Growing up, our family called the television remote control "the gun". Obviously, we were a firearm-free household, so there was never any confusion on the subject, but it did make for some funny explanations when new visitors came over. I love these quirky little inside jokes that families develop.

I hate talking on the phone. I'm sorry. I really do care about what is going on in your life, but it is tortuous for me to call you. Anyone who has spoken to me in person will tell you I make a lot of facial expressions. My interactions are as much visual as they are verbal, so I'm just awkward and stumbling when I can't see your pretty face. Plus, there are a lot of mumblers out there and I cannot understand them on the phone to save my life. Kurt is the worst, so I've requested that we talk on the phone only in emergencies because it infuriates me. We're a text heavy couple, and I'm okay with that.

In high school, I dated two preachers sons. I didn't have a ton of boyfriends, so this is a decent percentage of my dating history. They weren't particularly prudish or rebellious but just nice, respectful guys. I blame it on the over-saturation of churches in the South.

I was a super picky eater as a child. Nuts, ketchup, and tortillas are among the many items I wouldn't touch. It fascinates/baffles me how kids get things in their heads and won't believe anything different. After going to college and moving to a big city, I will eat pretty much anything and regret missing out for so many years. I certainly have items and flavors I prefer, but I'm game to try most anything. I'm not sure I'm adventurous enough to sample chocolate covered bugs, but you don't know unless you try! Fried grasshoppers could be my thing :)

So there you have it. Five not terribly interesting items. I hope you enjoyed! Now part of the deal is that I tag five more bloggers to share their random life facts. Participate if you would like ladies!

Jenn @ Perishable Item
Justine @ anything and everything
Clare @ Suddenly City
Erin @ Bourbon Trails
Lauren @ Pamplemousse

6 comments:

  1. aw! love learning more about you, melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is on my to-do list this week - i love these sort of things!!

    And I'm totally with you about not talking on the phone - but unfortunately it's because I'm the mumbler and I cannot stand my mom and dad always telling me to "slowww down" and "eee-nunc-i- ateeee" hah texting/email is just soo much easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a text/email queen. Plus, for better or worse, it creates a record of what has been discussed when I forget later!

      I can't wait to read your list :)

      Delete
  3. I can't believe you didn't go to the Third grade, but it does explain our age difference. You lucky dog! That was the only year that I got a B in grade school - a real real low point in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew! Glad I dodged that bullet. I'm sorry you had to go through that dark time. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...