Friday, January 13, 2012

my new toy

Let me start off by saying that Kurt's mother is the Queen of Deals. She is always scouring Goodwill and yard sales, coming away with some amazing finds. Luckily, I was on the receiving end of her latest expedition.

She got me this awesome sewing machine! Let's temporarily forget that I know absolutely nothing about sewing and start dreaming of the possibilities! I've never had any Project Runway aspirations and have no desire to sew my own clothes (other than a simple hem here and there), so I think I will stick to home decor items. My retirement plan is finally falling into place! Kurt will drown in throw pillows every time he comes over :) 

I think Kurt's mom specifically had my donated couch in mind when she got me this machine. Those cushions eventually need to be recovered, but I'm thinking I need to start with baby steps (even though I saw this awesome tutorial on Design*Sponge today). Plus, my couch is currently covered in old curtains, so the pattern isn't bothering me too much (how Scarlett O'Hara of me! or is more Von Trapp?!).

After reading through the manual, I am convinced that sewing machines are the most complicated devices known to man, so I may be slow to start whipping things up. Luckily, Kurt also got me a sewing class for my birthday! Jeez, these Martigs sure are pushing me to be self-sufficient :) Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Do not fear the sewing machine. It really is simple- just seems complicated. I promise.
    Fear all the begging of the elder for you to make him things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY to sewing machines! If you need any help just ask!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...