Wednesday, January 25, 2012

i'm still here

Why hello there! Sorry for my recent absence, but things have been pretty boooooring around here. I was fighting a cold for a few days and have been trying to introduce studying back into my life. Since procrastination is my forte, I completely organized my apartment this weekend instead of reading up on the ARE. I have a feeling this is going to be a theme for the next several months.....

Regardless, I wanted to update you on some of the semi-interesting things that have been going on the past couple weeks. 

I recently attended a presentation at the Center for Architecture about NYC's upcoming bike share program. The place was packed! It was refreshing to see such support for a great movement. Kurt and I used a bike share program when we visited Montreal and can't wait for the same convenience to grace our dear city. Plus, we got to see NYC DOT Commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan speak about the program and the process of bringing it to NYC. Saying that Kurt was star struck is an understatement :) He asked a Jane Jacobs worthy question during the presentation and got to speak with Janette (because they are on a first name basis now) on her way out the door. He usually swoons over economists and football coaches, so I'm actually pretty supportive of his crush on a powerful female figure! (Not that women can't be economists or football coaches. Those just aren't the ones he stalks follows.)

Yep, we finally got some snow! Even me and my seasonal depression were excited to see some winter precipitation. It finally feels like January. Then I had to go outside and remembered why I love summer.

That same snowy day, we treked all the way to Greenpoint to see a FEAST presentation. It's a pretty interesting organization that puts on public dinners to support community projects. Attendees pay $20 for food, beer, and a ballot. Artists present project ideas that could use funding and at the end of the evening, attendees vote for their favorite. The winning artist(s) is awarded the prize money. Last year, Kurt's brother was awarded a FEAST prize for his project Composting Gowanus! Check out past winning projects here.

My friend Will is from Louisiana and makes a mean gumbo. He was nice enough to cook up a huge pot this past weekend and invited a bunch of people over to share it with. He asked for some sides, so I decided to make some cornbread. I usually prefer a really sweet version but decided a cheesy version with chilies would go better with the gumbo. I found my recipe here. It might be a little dry on its own but was delicious with the gumbo. However, an old shoe would taste good with Will's gumbo. It's that good. You should be jealous.

Even though reading for pleasure is suspended for a while, I've added a couple new books to my collection. I'm not exactly sure why, but I've decided to start cooking with more beans. I guess they're cheap, easy, and pretty healthy. This cookbook looks promising with lots of information and interesting recipes. I am a little sad it lacks pictures though :( I'm one of those uninspired cooks that can't get excited about a recipe until I see what it is supposed to look like in the end. Regardless, I will give it a shot. I'll pass along the successes (and maybe even some fails).

I've also added The Perfectly Imperfect Home to my coffee table collection (you know, for when I actually own a coffee table). It has fun illustrations and tips throughout. Plus, the author, Deborah Needleman, former editor of Domino, is going to be giving a presentation at ABC Carpet and Home next week hosted by Apartment Therapy. Yours truly is going to be there and am hoping to get an autograph...like a crazy person. Hey, Kurt has his crushes, and I have mine :) Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. So happy to have a post...made my evening!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that pic of Auberooster.

    Also yes, I have a new crush in my life, Janette. :-) I respect that you didn't tell all of your readers that the entire room full of people laughed heartily at my question to Ms Sadik-Khan...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...