Wednesday, September 14, 2011

book launch

Recently, Kurt's friend sent him a link to a book launch party for Geologic City: A Field Guide to the GeoArchitecture of New York. I had absolutely no idea what it was about but it was free and I was promised wine.

The book was produced by Studio X, a department (?) of the Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation at Columbia University, and the party was held in their studio space.


While I don't think I can even recount what the book is about, it was interesting to see explore another school's studio space. They have a view of the new World Trade Center buildings...

...the Hudson River...

...and the Empire State Building. Not too shabby compared to our sight lines out of Dudley Hall, right?

From what I could gather, the exhibit was all about rocks and minerals and how the city is shaped by them. It also mentioned how within the past 50 years or so, our civilization has begun to make a lasting impression on the earth itself.

Timeline detailing the life of the sun, the earth, dinosaurs, etc. It's a nice reminder of how our time in this world is such a speck in the grand scheme of evolution. Perspective, anyone?

Jenn and Kurt having a deep discussion about geology...or was it skiing? (Not such different topics, I guess) Either way, I tuned out and focused on my wine. It was a nice warm up for Fashion's Night Out. Stay tuned for that post!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...