Monday, April 11, 2011

things I had forgotten about Alabama


I just returned from a whirlwind trip to Alabama for a wonderful wedding (more on that later, like here, here, and here). Over the weekend, I was reminded of a few things:

  1. Alabama is located on the equator. Don't bother looking it up. Just trust me on this one. This is in no way a complaint, but coming from 40 degrees in NYC to 80-90 in Mobile, Alabama was quite a shock to my system. I had forgotten that it was possible to sweat while sitting still. Beyond being sticky and gross for the majority of the weekend, it was glorious. I finally got to break out my new sandals! I seriously had second thoughts about returning to the chilly Northeast.
  2. Due to its geographical location, the sun in Alabama is quite strong. Since Kurt was kind enough to chauffeur me around all weekend, I was constantly in the passenger seat of our little rental car. The result: a bright red, sunburned right arm...only the right arm. Oh, and did I mention I was wearing short sleeves? Since it has been perpetually cloudy in NYC, I might have an awkward, lopsided farmer's tan for quite a while :(
  3. Alabama has bugs the size of small birds. The mosquitoes will attack you in Hitchcock-esque swarms unless you slather yourself in chemicals every 20 minutes. I stand behind the claim that I have sweet blood and that's why they enjoy my company so much.
  4. Alabama is full of trees and flowers and grasses. This contributes to a beautiful landscape and sneezing, itchy eyes, and a sore throat. This weekend reminded me of my allergy issues which rarely bother me in the relatively barren city. I will be recovering from a pollen overload for the next few days.
  5. Time operates differently in the South. Everyone takes a more leisurely pace which is typically 15-30 minutes slower than the rest of the world. All the wedding activities for the weekend ran a little behind schedule. But you know what? It all worked out fine. A lovely couple got hitched and had a great time with friends and family. Promptness is so overrated.
Tons of pictures and tales of the weekend are coming soon!

1 comment:

  1. Uhm, if I recall correctly I coined that phrase "Alabama has bugs the size of small birds."

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...