Monday, March 7, 2011

weekend.

The weekend began with a (photo-less) mini bar crawl in Brooklyn. We hit Washington Commons for a few beers and ordered in pizza. Next was Woodwork for their famous pickleback shots (shot of whiskey or bourbon chased with a shot of pickle juice....sounds gross but it is so good!). We finished up at Hot Bird. It's a converted garage that has a great outdoor space. In the summer they have a food truck serving sandwiches etc. but Friday they had a bonfire going. It was a fun night!


The weather on Saturday was gorgeous! It was sunny and in the high 50s. It was the perfect opportunity for my inaugural bike ride of the year. It was great to be back in the saddle! I'm so tired of waiting on buses or trains all the time. It was great to be in control of getting myself around. I forgot how much easier and convenient it is to get between my apartment and Kurt's. Spring, one more reason I need you to hurry up and get here!

Saturday evening, Kurt once again put us to shame with his cooking skills. He surveyed the ingredients in his kitchen and found this recipe. It was delicious. Silvia, the vegetarian who doesn't like pesto, even agrees :) After dinner, we decided to go to Korzo, a favorite bar near Kurt's apartment, for a couple drinks and dessert. 


Thomas, Kurt's friend who is in town job hunting, really got into coaster stacking.


Our awesome bartender, Matt, also helped out.




Meanwhile, Erik convinced the bartender to let him try every single one of the sixteen beers on tap. 


Sadly, he didn't make it all the way through but vows to return and finish the job.


Aren't we cute? We randomly met this girl from Alabama at the bar. She was a little crazy and a Bama fan. I don't know if we will be best friends but it was still interesting. She volunteered to take our picture. [Not pictured: Kristin. I don't know where she ran off to.]

Sunday morning, I got up really early to head to the upper tip of Manhattan for a race. This is the second year I've run in the Coogan's 5K--the race that got me interested in running in the first place. It's only 3.1 miles but the course is kind of hilly. It was raining too which made it less than ideal. My marathoning friend Majo and I have about the same pace and she was determined to outrun me (all in good fun, of course!). I would like to think I put up a good fight. In the end, she was only one second faster. It was great to have someone to push you. I would have never run that fast on my own. I was almost 3 minutes faster than my time last year and shaved about a minute from my per mile time. Phew! My legs were feeling it later :)


The real reward from finishing the race is getting chicken and waffles in Harlem afterwards. 


Doesn't it look delicious!? We enjoyed some Southern fried goodness at Amy Ruth's. Any calories burned during that race were quickly recovered (and probably surpassed) with this meal. 

It rained the entire day, so I didn't feel too bad about napping and lounging around the apartment, making some more progress on my room (here and here). Kurt's parents are scheduled to visit sometime this month, so I might be getting my new chair soon!

I hope you all had a great weekend too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...