Monday, February 14, 2011

Wanderlust



Since New York City has been less than pleasant lately, I can't help but dream of being somewhere else. Anywhere else. While at Madiba recently, I dreamed that it would be nice to visit South Africa one day. It's not exactly in the cards this year, but it got me thinking about places I want to travel soon-ish...like within the realm of 2011. I may have gone a bit overboard :)

{Charleston via}

Some spots like Austin and Charleston are just because destinations. Even though I have never visited either city, they are both on my "Places I Could Possibly See Myself Living Once I Grow Wary of NYC" List (nice title, right?). I've heard such good things about both places but figure I should check them out before I pack my bags. Note their Southern location (i.e. warmer climate).

{DC via}

I haven't been to Washington DC since I was a senior in high school. Before that, I don't think I had been since my family lived in Virginia when I was younger. It would be great to go back and experience it as an adult. Plus, it is a pretty easy train or bus ride from NYC. I would love to go for the Cherry Blossom Festival (March 26-April 10) but anytime in the Spring would be fun.

{Montreal via}

Kurt has been dying to visit Montreal ever since I have known him. The train ride there should be breathtaking and I hear the city is very European. Love. We actually had the chance to go back in January and Kurt worked out this very detailed travel itinerary as one of my Christmas presents. I was really excited about it at first but then freaked out and decided I would die from hypothermia if we went. I'm a big wimp. What can I say? We've vowed to go when the temperatures climb out of the single digits. Plus, Amtrak has a great deal on train tickets to Montreal if you travel before April 25th. I better start brushing up on my French now!

I'm headed back down to Alabama in April for a lovely wedding! I could not be more excited for the happy couple and am really looking forward to showing Kurt the Rural Studio

{Chicago via}

Kurt has close friends who live in Chicago and often invite him to visit. I've never been and Kurt loves it there. When job searching after college, he would have rather gone there instead of NYC. I would love to take in a baseball game, visit this "beach" Kurt keeps promising me is there, and hope for an Obama sighting.

{via}

I've never been to California. It's probably a good thing. I fear that once I go I will fall in love with the constantly pleasant temperature, beaches, and sunshine. I wouldn't be surprised if I give up on the East Coast completely. Well, Kurt's good friends from Slovenia, Katja and Ales, are getting married in April and are honeymooning in Los Angeles. It would be great to see them again and reminisce about our time in Ljubljana last summer (see here and here). Then a certain friend is spending some time in Santa Cruz from March to October. Not sure if both (or either) trips can happen but it would be great to explore a new frontier!

Speaking of new frontiers, Kurt and I have been talking about doing a joint trip to Portland, Oregon and Seattle, Washington. Being a West Coast virgin, I've never been to either. Kurt loves Portland (it's on his post-NYC list) but has yet to explore Seattle. Since they are so close, we thought they could be combined into a longer summer trip. Kurt's aunt and uncle live in Oregon, so we also might be able to score free transportation and lodging. It will be great to catch up with a few Auburn friends living out there and see a new, hippie-ish city. I hear Portland and Brooklyn are very similar. However, I hope those Ducks (yes, Kurt, I know the University of Oregon is in Eugene and not Portland) are over this little incident by July or so.

See that tiny little scarlet and grey star down in Florida? Well, Ohio State plays at Miami this year (counterpart to the game we saw in Columbus last year). Kurt loves football. I love the beach. Perfection! I've got my fingers crossed for this one.

Anyone want to sponsor (or join in on!) my excessive travels throughout the year? It's practically educational. I'm studying new cultures, meeting new people, and trying new things. Totally worth it :)

2 comments:

  1. Nice selection of images!
    Uhm, what about a scarlet and grey star on Lincoln, NE?! Also could put one on Reykjavik, Iceland!
    We're going to have to quit our jobs I see...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm, I think I am busy the weekend of the Nebraska game. Sorry! :)

    I don't know if Iceland ever gets warm enough to lure me there...

    Too bad these pesky jobs are the only thing funding our travel excursions!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...