Monday, July 15, 2013

#nycdonuttour @ dominique ansel (take one)


Have you heard of the cronut? It's a combination between a croissant and a donut created at the Dominique Ansel Bakery in Soho and is a current craze in NYC. 

They only make a certain amount per day, so demand is pretty high. Once word got out how delicious they are, people started lining up outside the bakery at un-godly hours to get their hands on one. 

Not ones to miss out on an exciting cultural experience, Jenn and I decided to try our luck at the cronuts one morning. We didn't need to be the first in line (which requires about a 5am start time) so we decided to queue up at 7 when the bakery opens at 8. 

I'll save you the suspense, but we didn't get any #sadface. We weren't even close...like 75 people away, not even close.

Thankfully, the bakery workers were super kind and kept us aware of the supply and let us down easy once they knew we were out of luck. By that point we had already waited in line for a couple hours and I was going to be late for work anyway, so we decided to stick it out for a little longer to sample some of the other treats Dominique Ansel has to offer.

{left image by me, right images via}

Showing up with treats definitely forgives being late much better at my office, so I was sure to get my coworkers a chocolate croissant, fresh Madeleine's, and another bakery specialty called the DKA. It was all amazing. I have even higher hopes for that cronut now. Jenn and I are determined to try again. 6am next time! Wish us luck!

6 comments:

  1. Oh no! Sorry to hear you didn't get any this time... I actually went this morning and got my hands on some! We arrived at 6:20 am and were about 55 people back. My friend and I also sampled some other treats from the bakery as well- I am in a sweets coma at the moment! Hopefully you will get to try some very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so jealous of your cronut success! Congratulations! We're determined to try again, so hopefully an earlier start time helps. I'm tired just thinking about it. They better be good! :)

      Delete
  2. Those damn cronuts! Hah happy to hear you were a good sport about it. I'm a foodie and love anything sweet but I'm still not sure I'd get the energy to get there that early!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My love for sweets and love for sleep are definitely at odds over this one. Thankfully there is a Starbucks nearby, so we can stay caffeinated while waiting for our cronuts like crazy people :) I hope they are good!

      Delete
  3. You just made the worst #FAIL graphic ever! That font is so adorable the sensation I get is that you're happy to have failed (and I know you better than that).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, the elusive cronut! Props to you for trying. I haven't been able to bring myself to brave the lines! I'm catching up on my blog reading today (after weeks, shamefully!) and I'm so excited to see what you've been up to! I've missed keeping up with your adventures :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...