Thursday, October 11, 2012

food these days

As I've alluded to before, I don't cook much. I manage to feed myself well enough, but rarely whip up elaborate meals, especially since cooking for one is kind of boring. So whenever I do get around to developing some culinary masterpiece, I feel it should be noted, photographed, and ultimately applauded. So here are the latest creations from my kitchen:

I'm not sure if I've mentioned it before, but I am a huge fan of the Pioneer Woman's Mexican Layer Dip (minus the black olives, of course, ick). I took it to a friend's house to watch football several weekends ago and it was a big hit. I always have the satisfaction of toting home an empty dish when bringing this to a party.



Kurt has to work a couple hour shift on Sundays at the local food co-op once a month. Occasionally I will be a good girlfriend and make him dinner so he is doesn't have to worry about cooking. I laid that offer on the table a couple weeks ago but fell behind on time and ended up serving him a frozen pizza instead. Whoops. My special dish, a tomato cobbler (from Joy the Baker), had to be postponed until later in the week. Much to Kurt's dismay, my biscuits came out of a Pillsbury can, but the dish was still pretty damn tasty. Homemaker I am not. He should feel lucky a made him anything :)

I know I mentioned these in the Tiger Showdown post, but they are so good not to mention again. Plus, frying something was a culinary milestone for me. I still need to work on my technique and courage (pops of hot oil hurt!). They're not the healthiest dish but these mini, faux Chick fil a biscuits will definitely get made again. I saved a couple and Kurt and I had them for breakfast the next day, just so we could say we ate Chick fil a on Sunday :)


I recently invited Kurt over for Chicken Enchiladas (I feel the "Girlfriend of the Year" Award should be coming my way, right?) but had a tortilla malfunction, so it transformed into Mexican Lasagna midway through. It all tastes the same, right?! I've used the same general enchilada suizas recipe for years, so there's no link. Essentially, I use chicken (I love getting one of those rotisserie birds from the grocery store and cleaning off all the meat), green enchilada sauce, green chilies, evaporated milk, tortillas, and shredded cheese (something like pepper jack works well). Wrap it all up in whatever fashion you like and bake at 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes so everything heats up and the cheese melts.

Are you all amazed by my kitchen skills?! It's okay, neither am I. It's nice to celebrate small victories though. I promise I eat fruits and vegetables in between all this beige bread and cheese, but salads aren't that fun to blog about. Maybe some colorful fall produce will find its way into my October dishes. Recipe suggestions are welcome and greatly appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I nearly forgot about how terrified you were to actually start frying the chicken for the biscuits!

    Can we do a post about all the spicy things I cook and put in Ball jars?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...