Monday, January 3, 2011

One Year Wiser

...or something like that.

I've officially reached the midpoint of my twenties at least. The day was nice and laid back as everyone recovered from ringing in 2011 the night before. I apologize for my reluctance to make plans and decisions about my own birthday. It was like pulling teeth for Kurt to get me to say, "I want to do this..." Luckily, 25 hasn't spoiled my appetite, so like any good birthday, the majority of the day revolved around food.

Kurt and I started with brunch in my neighborhood at Cafe Lafayette. It was cute and French and tiny. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Kurt and I both had mimosas and Croque Madames, which I'm adding to my list of recipes to recreate.

Youthful.

Ugh. Old. Jeez.

Over brunch, Kurt was grilling me about what I wanted to do the rest of the day. It was painful. We finally settled on watching a few bowl games during the afternoon (I'm surprised Kurt didn't break up with me when he found out my birthday was on January 1st--one of the biggest football bowl game days of the year). Then Kurt was going to make me a special dinner at his apartment. He decided on Risotto alla Brianzola, a dish from the region of Italy where he did his exchange and we visited this summer. Finding an open grocery store was a bit of a challenge but we got all the necessary supplies.

Delicious!

I was getting pretty good at making demands in my old age, so I decided I wanted to go to Cafe Steinhof, an Austrian restaurant in Park Slope, for dessert. 

I had a delicious chocolate custard with a mountain of whipped cream on top. I usually show desserts no mercy, but this was so rich I wasn't able to completely finish. My glass of prosecco went down without issue though :) I think the entire day reached its pinnacle when Kurt watched Sweet Home Alabama with me. Talk about sacrifice. Thank you, Kurt! You are a trooper.

I had a fabulous and relaxing day but in the future, I'm thinking about celebrating my 6 month birthday instead. I think it was a mistake for me to be born in the winter (sorry, Mom and Dad). There are so many more fun things I would like to do on July 1st. I'm thinking beach trip....picnic in the park....bike ride....sundresses! Nothing would make me happier. This summer girl will see you at 25-1/2!!

2 comments:

  1. "you dumb, stubborn, redneck hick!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahaha... great comment Jen(oh wait...which Jenn(ifer) was that?!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...