Tuesday, January 18, 2011

miscellaneous items


It is a slushy mess in NYC today. It's one of those days you don't want to leave your bed, let along trudge along the sloppy sidewalks to work.


To fend off the seasonal depression, I've been dreaming of a new DIY project with two simple dressers I own from Ikea. I need to order a few finishing touches but may start the process this weekend while Kurt takes a day trip to go skiing.


That project got my DIY wheels turning. When my roommate moves out in a week, she is taking most of the common room furniture with her. Luckily, Kurt's brother Erik recently snagged us a island/table he found on the curb. If it's not being ruined by today's rain/sleet mix in Kurt's backyard, I hope to give it a good face lift with intense sanding and paint. The piece has one small drawer, and I would like to replace its current pull with one like this.


And in other news, I had a great War Eagle Moment last night! I feel like it needs a little back story first though. One of the reasons I love New York is that it is so diverse. There are millions of people from all over the world here and I am constantly being introduced to new ideas. That said, you don't often run across familiar faces, and being so far from the South, that interlocking AU is hard to come by. I rarely see other Auburn fans (other than at game day parties at the Auburn bar). Somehow, Kurt gets twice as many (if not more!) War Eagles than I do and it really burns me. I guess I don't wear enough sports paraphernalia...I generally only break out my Auburn t-shirts on gamedays, but I do have this headband/ear warmer I wear to and from the gym. I will admit I've been sporting it with more frequency since last week's victory

Well, on my way home from the gym last night, I had on my trusty orange and blue headband and was waiting to cross the street behind this guy who looked to be about my age. After a few moments, he turns and says, "War Eagle, huh?". You could tell from his hesitation he was new to the phrase. I responded with the requisite War Eagle and we chatted for a few minutes while we waited for the light to change. He didn't go to Auburn but his girlfriend's uncle is Auburn's offensive line coach and they were able to score tickets to the game last week. I got really excited, thinking this was Gus Malzahn (Kurt's long time football idol) and started brainstorming ideas to make this guy my friend. Then I realized offensive line coach and offensive coordinator are two different things and decided not to force my friendship on the poor guy. Apparently they had a great time at the game but were stuck in Arizona until Thursday because of weather. Even though he's not technically part of the "Auburn family", it was great to make a connection with a stranger so far from The Plains. I've got my eyes peeled for more War Eagle moments. I'm not missing out anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...