Tuesday, October 15, 2013

weekend in review





























What a lovely weekend! I wish all of them could be three days long (sorry if you didn't get Columbus Day off!) so I could get so much more done, including sleeping in. Saturday, Kurt and I rode our bikes up to Williamsburg for a walking tour around the neighborhood hosted by the Municipal Arts Society. It was super interesting to tool around and see how the area has changed and hear how it got started. (As an added bonus, we saw the Banksy truck drive by a couple times!) After the tour, Kurt and I grabbed a quick bike of dumplings at Smorgasburg before continuing our bike journey up to Astoria. We met up with some friends who recently moved to Queens for a drink at the Bohemian Hall Beer Garden. The outdoor space was slightly overrun with kids but we still had a fun time soaking up the last bit of sunshine of the season. Altogether, Kurt and I rode 24 miles that day AND I ran 5 that morning. Add a couple hours wandering around with a tour group and I was absolutely beat!!

Sunday, we drove back to Astoria (Queens twice in one weekend!? Unheard of!) to Build it Green! to poke around the salvage materials and see Erik's compost program, including 200,000 worms chowing down on organic material. Very cool.

I had Monday off while poor Kurt had to go to work, so I got lots of projects done around the apartment while hanging out with Aubie. I installed a cork backsplash in our kitchen for lots of pin up space. I sewed a few new pillows for the bedroom and the living room (Kurt calls them "overkill"). And I finally got around to making a French Silk Pie for Kurt's birthday which was over a month ago. To make up for its belatedness, I topped said pie with homemade Bourbon whipped cream. Delicious if I do say so myself. I'm pretty sure this is the high point of my culinary career. It's all downhill from here.

I hope you all had a great weekend! The other good thing about 3 days off is the 4 day work week that follows! Woo hoo!

4 comments:

  1. What a fun weekend! So jealous you got to see a Banksy! hah - Got my boyfriend tickets for a brooklyn brewery tour for his bday (oyster tour company) and so excited to finally explore more of Brooklyn, seems so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like an amazing weekend! Astoria- you were in my 'hood! If you are ever back in my borough we should meet up for a quick bite or drink!

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw, you were in my hood! marlow & daughters is the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. loving that truck with the stuffed animals! everytime i visit your blog, i crave an NYC trip - i love that you take FULL advantage of all the cool things going on around you

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...