Saturday, December 29, 2012

christmas in alabama

I hope everyone has been having a great holiday! It's been pretty stellar over here in Alabama even though the weather has been incredibly lame--cold and rainy ALL. THE. TIME. I've never just wanted it to snow so badly. Anyway, what good is a holiday if it's not an excuse to eat an drink ridiculous amounts? Apparently that's all I choose to photograph as well.



Incredible shrimp and grits from LuVici's in Athens, AL. Sadly, they don't serve any beer or wine, but they did keep my diet coke flowing. I guess that counts for something.


And the restaurant was right next door to the super cute U.G. White General Store.

I convinced my parents to try my sweet potato pizza before we headed to Nashville to pick up Kurt from the airport. Of course his flight was delayed and didn't get in until 11! Needless to say, it was a late night.

Requisite stop at Chick fil a? Check. 

Kurt and I were on the search for local Alabama beers and a little research led us to Liquor Express in Huntsville. We were like kids in a candy store. They had such a great selection, we had a hard time making choices!

The haul, from left to right: Rammer Jammer (not exactly local, but the sentiment is there), Good People IPA, Straight to Ale Monkeynaut, Tallgrass 8-bit Pale Ale (from Kansas but we liked the can), Back Forty Naked Pig Pale Ale.

As always, Santa went a little overboard. I think we overwhelmed Kurt. These Gravelines love presents!

Christmas morning mimosas: a new tradition is born

After a delicious waffle breakfast, we got to business opening gifts. My mom got an iPad! And I practically doubled my kitchen arsenal with new baking pans, a tea kettle, and an immersion blender. Woo hoo! I'll be cooking up a storm in 2013 :)

Kurt got me this amazing necklace from FulfilledDesigns. I'm so proud of him picking it out on his own! He also gifted me a book of Date Coupons which I am very excited about cashing in. He's beating me at my own DIY game!

French Silk Pie in process for our big Christmas dinner

Christmas dinner followed by a trip to the movies to see (the first installment) of The Hobbit. Great couple days! More to come!

6 comments:

  1. Glad you had a great Christmas!! I love what Kurt gave you - so sweet that he picked it out himself. Hope your weather gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks like a fabulous christmas! and that necklace is beautiful - lucky you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas! Sorry about the weather down there. Let me know how you like your immersion blender! I've always wanted one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at all those adorable presents! We had some of that same polar bear wrapping paper under our tree this year. I hope you get some snow! We are newly living in Georgia + while visiting family in Virginia this past weekend we woke up to snow - it was pure magic :) xoxo, eliza

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post makes me all kind of happy and warm inside. It looks like you had such a wonderful holiday with your family! Hooray to new kitchen supplies (will you have to ship them back to NY? or will they fit in your suitcase? I had to send 2 boxes back in the mail to Boston! WHOOPS!)

    Also, LOVE LOVE the necklace from Kurt. SO PRETTY!

    Merry Christmas/Happy New Year, Melissa! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, are you originally from Alabama? Do you have a southern accent?

    Just CURIOUS! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...