Wednesday, September 4, 2013

black doors


Around the same time I decided I wanted to install a gallery wall in our apartment (i.e. before we even moved in) I decided I wanted to paint all our doors black. My inspiration: Daniel from Manhattan Nest (while you are checking out his black door project, also be in awe of this kitchen transformation he just did!). Our little neighborhood hardware store has a limited paint selection and I didn't want to use black-black, so I chose Midnight Black by Pratt and Lambert. At first I was upset that it looked too charcoal/purple but I'm really happy with the color now. I love the contrast with our white walls and moldings.

All the doors in our apartment are old and solid and have some nice panel details except the bedroom door. I didn't want it to feel left out, so I followed this tutorial on Little Green Notebook and added some cheap molding from Lowe's.

I cut all the wood pieces on a miter box with a hack saw. It felt like I was using a nail file. Keep those blades sharp! 

Then paint!

Ta da! I love our black doors!

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE the black doors! I feel like they really define them and make the white walls look purposeful, if you know what I mean. And good job on adding the molding to your bedroom door. I think it made a big difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a renovating machine I have to say. Doors looks great. I wasn't impressed with the color initially either, but I'm sold on it now. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the black doors! great example of how small changes can make a big difference in the look of an apt!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...