Wednesday, July 11, 2012

the fourth

Since we were off work on July 4th and her sister was in town from South Dakota, Jenn made us reservations to see the 9/11 Memorial.




The fountains were enormous and incredible and impressive. The plaza was a little meh. I'm hoping one day, after all the surrounding construction has been put to rest, that the area around the fountains is just open to the public. The security we went through was pretty intense and I don't feel like the space contributed to your experience of the memorial much. I think it would be better free flowing, mixing tourists and Wall Street-ers on their lunch break. It will be interesting to see how it evolves!

On our bike ride back to Brooklyn, Kurt couldn't resist this open fire hydrant. I'm not sure I've ever seen him happier...well, maybe when Ohio State is involved.



Kurt and I considered going to Hoboken to see the Macy's 4th of July Show on the Hudson River, but since  I don't really care for fireworks all that much, and it was technically a school night, we grilled out in Kurt's backyard instead. I drank Mexican beer. We grilled tons of food, including fresh peaches (served with ice cream, of course). Then we tried to catch some glimpses of the fireworks from Kurt's roof. From our high perch, we could see distant displays in Staten Island, New Jersey, and throughout the streets of Brooklyn. I think I prefer that to a big show on the river anyway. You can keep it, Manhattan!

I hope everyone had a great Independence Day!

2 comments:

  1. This year's 4th was nice. It's much more romantic to watch 20 different random fireworks shows far off in the distance than just one mega show up close. They're over-rated anyway.

    I'm glad you drank Mexican beer, next to you I didn't appear nearly as un-American! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grilled peaches are one of my favorite summer treats. Last year, my friends and I put them on portobello mushroom burgers - amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...