Monday, November 1, 2010

SEC Happy Hour

{image thanks to The Mason Jar}


Last week, Kurt and I went to an SEC Happy Hour after work. (He was lucky I let him wear an Auburn name tag! Although I'm sure he wasn't fooling anyone in his Buckeyes hat...) We attempted to go to one of the organization's happy hours back in the Spring at the Ainsworth, but it was too stuffy for us and we left almost as soon as we walked in the door. I had higher hopes that a place called The Mason Jar would be more our speed.

It was. It was a nice enough place but nothing spectacular. I wouldn't even blog about it unless it led me to this other thought. Kurt and I only stayed for one drink. And I didn't speak to anyone. Here we are at this event with people I share something in common and we're all in silly name tags. How much easier could it be to strike up a conversation?! I often find myself thinking I have an amazing boyfriend and a handful of good friends, so why do I need to make an effort to reach out and meet new people? But in all reality, I would love to meet more nice and interesting people (a few Southerners to reminisce about warm weather and football would be ideal!). 

When I first moved to New York, meeting people and being outgoing was a necessity. At times it was painful and awkward and took a lot of courage. Now I am finding myself complacent and getting too comfortable with my situation. I can't always rely on Kurt to be there to keep me company. I want to be independent but recently I've been feeling socially retarded. I don't want to be that crazy cat lady sitting home with Aubie, a pint of ice cream, and bottle of wine!

So my new goal is to prevent that. I don't know how exactly to do that yet. Maybe I will make an attempt at the Auburn vs. Georgia Beer Pong and Flip Cup Tournament (this really exists and is coming up soon). Doesn't that sound like fun!?

1 comment:

  1. Good self analysis here. I'll do my best to help you.

    I find a great way to start conversation in an ice-breaking situation is to find out one of the where they went to school and tell them how much better OSU is than them... works every time!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...