Sunday, August 29, 2010

Spontaneous Friday: the Baseball Edition

In an effort to keep our lives unscheduled and relaxed, Kurt and I began implementing what we call Spontaneous Fridays. Unless there is something important happening that evening, we resist making any plans for Friday until the day of. We also want it to be an opportunity to explore new neighborhoods, so we generally choose a bar or activity we don't frequently visit.

This week, Kurt brought up the idea to go to a Mets game. I've never been and it sounded like a great idea. However, our desire for limited structure in our lives also makes us less than motivated sometimes. The Mets stadium is way up in Queens. It would require a lot of effort to get there. Luckily, there are a couple minor league teams around which are a bit more accessible. Both the Brooklyn Cyclones and Staten Island Yankees were playing at home, so we decided it would be fun to take the ferry over to Staten Island to catch their game.

View of Brooklyn from the ferry

I really enjoy taking the ferry. It brings me back to my 2 week stint staying at Courtney's apartment when I first moved to New York. (I can't believe it's almost been 2 years!) The last time I was on Staten Island was for my birthday back in January. It was probably 20 degrees outside! Late August weather is much more pleasant.

The stadium is only a short walk from the ferry terminal. Jenn came and watched the game with us. The Yankees (a farm team for the real Yankees) were playing the Lowell Spinners (I'm guessing a minor league team for the Boston Red Sox).

In the end, the Yankees lost 1-7. It was a pretty uneventful game. It is always more fun to go and enjoy a couple beers and hang out. It really makes it feel like summer even though I can feel the season is slowly slipping away. Pretty soon, the air will grow chilly and jackets will once again be mandatory. One consolation is football season.

After the baseball game, there was a brief fireworks display. We missed most of it because we thought we could hurry to the ferry and catch them from the boat. The show was too short! Oh well....once back in Brooklyn we spontaneously decided to have a drink at Building on Bond, a favorite bar in Boerum Hill. From what I can gather, the bar is run by a design/build firm that concentrates mostly on bars and restaurants. I would like to work for them one day...maybe once I've had my fill of high end residential.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...