Saturday, July 10, 2010

Ohio Part II: Salem by Scooter

Kurt's mom has a scooter she rides around town to run errands. Sunday was a beautiful day, so we thought we would take it out for a spin and tour around Salem. I was a little nervous, but Kurt was an excellent driver.

We rode through Salem's downtown. There were several banks and a few little shops but not too much activity. I spotted a nice corner building (currently an insurance agency) that I have plans to turn into a cafe/bar/restaurant with big windows that open to the street and sidewalk seating. I may be projecting a little too much of Brooklyn onto this small town, but I think it would be a fun project.

There is a nice coffee shop downtown. We stopped there on our way out of town. I was amazed how cheap a couple coffees and pastries could be! New York prices have definitely skewed my financial reality. We also poked our heads into this cute little antique shop above the coffee place.

After a little bit of cruising around, we couldn't resist the allure of Bruester's milshakes on a hot summer day. We got a few, loaded them into the scooter and went to visit Kurt's friend Nick at his house.

Back on the road, we came across a farm that had several zebras and an ostrich! We tried to get close and get a better shot, but they were unreceptive to my calls and whistles. They don't know what they were missing!

We rode by so many farms! I was impressed by the amount of successful family farms that are still in operation. The landscape of rolling green hills is breathtaking and calming. I loved all the barns and silos. I imagine Alabama once looked like this, but now we have demolished all the fields and built subdivisions instead :(

Kurt and I noted that it was eerily quiet everywhere. Maybe we are so used to the madness of NYC, but we hardly saw anyone out in their yards even though it was a beautiful day and the 4th of July. It was an interesting comparison to our everyday hustle back in the city.

Next up: a closer look at rural Ohio!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...