Monday, August 18, 2014

weekend in review

I've been home in Alabama this weekend visiting my parents. Here was my Friday view landing into Nashville.


All trips are planned around meals, so after fetching me from the airport, my parents and I had some tasty Mexican food at Rosepepper Cantina followed by ice cream across the street at Jeni's. I tried the Saison with Sunflower Seeds and Golden Flax, Sweet Cream Biscuits and Peach Jam, and Riesling Poached Pear Sorbet. So delicious! We even continued our Jeni's love through the weekend by using her base recipe to make some blueberry ice cream on Sunday. 


I went on a couple runs while at home (hopefully to combat all the awesome food we ate). The roads are flat but deathly boring...nothing but cow pastures and corn fields. However, trying to outrun a thunderstorm on Sunday made it a little more exciting!

I had big plans to spend all weekend in the pool, but with so many other things to do, I only got in once. I'm not much of a swimmer but I do love relaxing in the water and paddling around. I could stay in there for hours.

My mom and I walked through Lowe Mill in Huntsville and checked out all the artist studios. It's such a funky little hippy bubble in a very non-hippy town. I hope it keeps getting more popular and adding some much needed variety to the area.


We popped into Pizzelle's Confections for creative little chocolates. 

When in Rome, right? Extra points for eating it in the mall food court.

I had dinner with my parents and sister at The Huntsville Brewery one evening. 

My grandmother is turning 90 this year, so my sister thought it would be a good idea to gift her a portrait of our family. I did a lot of timer setting and running to be in the shot, but I think we got some nice photos.  

Sadly, I had to head back to NYC. On the way to the airport in Nashville, I suggested having lunch at Pinewood Social (after hearing about it from Allie). It was so much fun and I loved the building! I can't wait to bring Kurt back next time we visit.

The building is part of a larger development that revitalized old warehouses/factories along the river in the downtown area.

I had a tasty catfish sandwich and an Alabama beer...at 11am. Don't judge. I'm on vacation.

There is a bowling alley inside...

...and a bocce court outside!

There is lots of outside lounge seating, an Airstream trailer serving tacos, and even a couple little swimming pools! (I seriously thought I was in Brooklyn.) I think it would be fun to come back at night and enjoy the awesome cocktail/beer list.

Until next time Alabama/Tennessee!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...