Monday, April 30, 2012

paint projects and day drinking

I didn't crack open a bit of study material this weekend. And I am okay with that. I needed to get some craft projects and general home maintenance out of my system. Hopefully I will get back to the grind this week. 

It all began with a paint project I decided to start at 9:30 Friday night....

My poor coral wall. I have such conflicted feelings about this wall. I wanted to like it. I tried to like it. It was really such a gorgeous color, but it just wasn't right for me. It seemed like this relationship where nothing was glaringly wrong, but there was just no chemistry. So I decided to break things off before anyone got hurt. 

I had tons of paint left over from Kurt's bathroom makeover, and I've been drawn to navy blue lately, so I gave it a try. (I knew I wanted to put my pictures back in the same location, so I just left the nails in the wall and painted around them. I know, I'm lazy.) Also note my awesome ladder! I got it for ten bucks at a stoop sale, so now I don't need to to borrow the Martigs' ladder for five months at a time :)

In process. I was instantly smitten as soon as the color went up. I also can't say enough good things about this Olympic Premium Zero VOC paint (in Regatta Bay). It covered that red in two coats and didn't stink at all. I only had my window cracked a bit and the there was no smell at all. Hooray for saving brain cells!

Dry in the daytime. Mmmmm. I love this flat color. It looks like blue velvet! (Please pardon the disarray of my apartment. You know how painting goes...)

Ahh. Where my feelings for the coral wall were lukewarm, this navy and I are soulmates. I need some art or thing to fill that upper left corner, so it's a work in progress, but I have a feeling blue wall and I are going to get along just fine :)

After a late Friday night painting, I met up with Jenn, Andrea, and Christian for some afternoon (which turned into evening) drinks at the Brooklyn Tap House on Saturday. Brooklyn Based and the Brooklyn Brewery were putting on an event and Brooklyn Lagers were $3 all day. We also got free koozies! My life is now complete :)


We started outside but eventually had to move in because it was too chilly :( I am very ready to get hot weather here. I can't stand this in between!

Later on, Stephen joined us and we eventually migrated to Hanson Dry for a final drink of the evening. I miss Fort Greene! It is such a pretty area.

Finally, on Sunday, in between being a cleaning machine, I decided to paint this folding chair that I got back on this shopping spree day.

Once again, I broke out the navy blue I have an unnatural relationship with. After one coat it looks pretty bad, but I have no doubt that second coat with be gorgeous.

{image via the Little Green Notebook}

Once the blue layer is finished, I plan on going back with a pattern like this dresser, so it looks like it has an inlay detail. I am most likely overestimating my free hand paint skills, but I'm hoping a pearlescent white or grey paint pen and some light pencil construction lines will help make the process easier. And if it looks awful, I can just paint it back a solid color. Isn't paint such a fun medium?! Wish me luck! I will keep you posted on the results.

P.S. - I've been listening to the Alabama Shakes Boys and Girls album nonstop this weekend. It's so good! They are from a town really near where I grew up in Alabama and are coming to Central Park in June for Summer Stages. I can't wait to see them!

4 comments:

  1. You did such a great job painting! The blue wall looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving this blue wall. And the Alabama Shakes! AND I can't believe you saw Martha twice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new wall color and can't wait to see this chair complete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you should just go ahead and make a rule to hang everything on your walls from a clothes-hanger.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...