Sunday, July 31, 2011

alexander mcqueen at the met

A couple Fridays ago, Jenn, Christine, Kurt and I went to check out the Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty Exhibit at the Met. I had heard amazing things about it and wanted to check it out before they take it down in August. (Thanks for getting us in for free Christine/Bloomberg News!)

The exhibit has been so popular, there is always a line that wraps through the museum. At times I think the wait could get up to 2 hours. We were prepared for this but actually hit it at a good time that we only had to wait about 30 minutes. 

What they don't tell you about the exhibit is that all those friendly faces you were waiting with would then be jam packed into a maze of small rooms together. My mother will tell you, I am the worst person to go to a museum with. I enjoy seeing things and taking it all in but I have a very limited amount of patience which is quickly depleted when surrounded by slow moving crowds. I respect the fact that people want to read every single placard and then ooh and ahh over the corresponding outfit, but it would drive me insane. I like to walk through at a leisurely pace, scanning the pieces, and reading the description when something piques my interest. Anyway...






Besides the awful crowds, the exhibit was fantastic. A lot of McQueen's collections were way out there but absolutely incredible. I don't often think of clothing as being conceptual or making an artistic statement, but all these pieces definitely had a story to tell. While the clothing was amazing, I was absolutely blown away by the exhibit design. It definitely helped express the moodiness of the work. That would be an amazing alternative architecture career!

{No photography was allowed in the exhibit, so all images of the McQueen collection from the Met Museum}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...